- Lower Lola Montez Lake - 6.4 milesout and back hike -
Come on out with your fellow NorCal Snowboarder members as we gather for a 6.4 miles out and back hike to beautiful Lower Lola Montez in Soda Springs.
DISTANCE: 6.4 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 1069 feet
ROUTE TYPE: Out and back
TRAILHEAD: Lower Lola Montez Trailhead
TRAIL: This is a lightly trafficked hike, good for all skill levels and rated Easy as there is a combination of hiking by dirt roads as well as footpaths. Much of this trail is on private property so hikers are requested to stay on the trail which leads to Lower Castle Creek crossing and a beautiful forest canopy and meadow before reaching the lake. The Lower Lola Montez Trail is really a few sections of trail interspersed between longer stretches of road. Pleasantly, the first quarter-mile does start with a trail section that quickly connects to the road above. Follow the road to where the Lower Castle Creek crosses over the roadbed. A quarter mile farther along the road, the next portion of singletrack cuts away to the right. This section quickly becomes notably steeper as hikers wind their way up a loose and rocky slope over several stair sections. The route returns to the road along a mellow grade. About a mile above, the road eventually fades away into singletrack near an open meadow. Just past the lower edge of the meadow is an intersection with the Hole in the Ground Trail and the Lower Lola Montez Lake Connector. Follow the connector to promptly arrive at the lake. You will be able to take as much time as you'd like to play, swim, nap, eat, etc. at Lower Lola Montez Lake.
PARKING: On I-80 take the Soda Springs exit (#174). On the north side of the Interstate turn right immediately on Sherritt Road and drive for about one-half mile past the fire station to the parking area.
DOGS: Allowed, bring a leash
WEATHER: Upper 70s to lower 80s
• If you are willing to drive, please state in RSVP how many you can take.
• We meet at 7:30am on the dot, we leave no later than 7:45am. Starbucks at 5494 Crossing Rd. in Rocklin
• Arrive at Lower Lola Montez Lake Trailhead by 9:00am.
• If you plan on carpooling, have $20 cash. Please have exact change!
Remember to bring:
• $20 for gas for the driver (if you're carpooling; exact change is appreciated)
• Comfortable shoes (hiking boots preferable)
• Plenty of water/Gatorade
• Snacks / Lunch
• Sunscreen / sunglasses / hat
• Hiking poles
• Mosquito repellant
• Weather can be unpredictable, so have layers that you can shed.
• Good vibes and positive attitude
Looking forward to a fun day meeting new peeps and catching up with some of the regulars!