-Carson Pass Trail Hike-
Carpool Fee: $20 per
Length: 4.5 miles
Elevation: 1200 feet, beginning at 8,232.
Trailhead meetup time is 9:45 (Wood Lake Campground)
Woods Lake Campground is right off Hwy 88 past Kirkwood and approximately 3.5 miles past Caples Lake Dam. If you get to the top of Carson Pass grade you've gone about 1.5 miles too far. The road into Woods Lake Campground is paved but narrow for approx 1.5 miles to the day use parking area. There is a $5 per vehicle day use fee.The trail head is labeled for Winnemucca Lake and begins by a wooden bridge spanning Woods Creek.
The Hike Plan:
This hike starts as an easy hike through the forest, more or less following along a stream. Eventually we'll climb out of the trees into an area that has open hillsides that should be covered with wildflowers and expansive views of Round Top and surrounding peaks. At about 2.5 miles we'll arrive at Winnemucca Lake at 8980 feet. Here we can rest and regroup before heading west uphill for about another mile to Round Top Lake. We will relax and eat lunch at Round Top Lake before returning via the Lost Cabin Mine trail. Dogs are fine, but you must clean up after them.
What to Bring:
• Carry more water than you than you think you’ll drink – 2 liters is best.
• Plenty of "fuel"-Snacks, etc
• Fill your water bottles half way night prior, then top off in the am.
• Bring a paper or plastic bag for your trash. Pack it in-pack it out. We don’t leave trash on the trail.
• Bring some cash for a possible post-hike lunch.
• Bring post hiking shoes. Your feet will thank you.