Norcal Snowboarders hike to Echo & Aloha Lake
Come on out with your fellow NorCal Snowboarder members as we gather for a 13 mile in and out trail hike in the Desolation Wilderness. A picnic will be the choice of lunch once we reach Aloha Lake, before returning back down the loop.
Directions to trailhead: From Sacramento, take Highway 50 and look for a sign for Echo Lake and Berkeley Camp. Turn left off Highway 50 on Johnson Pass Road. Travel half a mile and turn left at Echo Lakes Road. Follow 1 mile to the trailhead parking area on the south shore of Lower Echo Lake. Parking is FREE, but limited! Meeting time is 9:30am sharp!
*Please note that this is rated as an MODERATE level hike.
Difficulty level: moderate (hiking) to strenuous (running)
Route: Starting at the Lower Echo Lake trailhead, follow the Tahoe Rim Trail 2.5 miles to the Upper Echo Lake water taxi trail. Stay on the TRT up rocky terrain away from the lakes. After seven-tenths of a mile you will reach the Desolation Wilderness boundary sign. Over the next 2.9 miles, you’ll come upon several side trails. Stay on TRT through open granite areas and shaded woods. Turn around at Lake Aloha and follow the signs back to Echo Lakes.
Overview: The hike to Lake Aloha is the ultimate day hike in Desolation Wilderness. The trail is fairly flat for most of the hike, with only two sections of significant elevation gain, and you will pass by 5 lakes in under 12 miles round trip. After a hot day of hiking there is no better way to relax than with a swim in beautiful Lake Aloha where you can spend hours swimming from island to island.
• If you are willing to drive, please state in RSVP how many you can take.
• We meet at 7:30am on the dot, we leave at 7:45am sharp!
• Arrive at Trailhead at 9:30am.
• If you plan on carpooling, have $20 cash. Please have exact change!
Remember to bring:
• $20 for gas for the driver (if you're carpooling; exact change is appreciated)
• Comfortable shoes (hiking boots preferable)
• Plenty of water/Gatorade
• Food/snacks for the hike and lunch.
• Sunscreen / sunglasses / hat
• Appropriate clothing for Tahoe hiking weather
Looking forward to meeting some new faces and seeing some regulars!