- Point Reyes Hike: 14 miles loop via Muddy Hollow/Drake's Head/Estero trails -
Come on out with your fellow NorCal Snowboarder peeps as we gather for a 14 miles loop hike in gorgeous Point Reyes National Seashore.
DISTANCE: 14 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 300 feet - The trail is for the most part flat
ROUTE TYPE: Loop
DIFFICULTY: Easy to moderate. Endurance for long walking is all you will need. Very little elevation change.
TRAILHEAD: Muddy Hollow
DESCRIPTION: This is a beautiful hike: mellow and not much up and down at all, creeks, bridges, various foliage, cattle, diverse wildlife. We'll have lunch at Drakes Head (mile 6). From the bluff we can look down into the estuary during high tide and observe marine life. We'll try to hit the bluff right around high tide, 1:25 pm. This will give us the best chance of seeing rays and leopard sharks. Bring binoculars. On a clear day, Drakes Head is the best view spot in Point Reyes. Expansive views offer a panoramic sweep of Drakes Bay from the headlands to Double Point. There is not much shade on this hike, so plan accordingly. This will be our route:
PARKING: The parking area at the Muddy Hollow trailhead is tiny. Not a lot of cars fit in. We will meet to condense into as few cars as possible at the parking lot ACROSS THE ROAD from the Bear Valley Visitor Center (1 Bear Valley Visitor Center Access Road, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956) by the bathroom next to the Earthquake trailhead.
After a restroom stop we'll head out to the Muddy Hollow trailhead. Directions: Drive north on Bear Valley Visitor Center Access Road. Turn left onto Bear Valley Rd. Drive 1.3 miles. Turn left onto Limantour Rd. Drive 5.9 miles. Turn right at Limantour Spit Rd. Drive 0.2 miles to the trailhead.
DOGS: Not allowed
WEATHER FORECAST: Lower 50s to upper 70s
• If you are willing to drive, please state in RSVP how many you can take.
• We meet at 7:15am on the dot, we leave no later than 7:30am. Walmart at 755 Riverpoint Ct. in West Sacramento.
• Arrive at the parking lot ACROSS THE ROAD from the Bear Valley Visitor Center (1 Bear Valley Visitor Center Access Road, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956) no later than 9:30am.
• If you plan on carpooling, have $25 cash. Please have exact change!
Remember to bring:
• $25 for gas for the driver (if you're carpooling; exact change is appreciated)
• Comfortable shoes. Hiking boots preferable. Sections of the trail may be muddy.
• Plenty of water/Gatorade
• Small towel.
• Snacks / Lunch / Picnic blanket
• Sunscreen / sunglasses / hat
• Hiking poles
• Camera / Binoculars
• Mosquito repellant
• Weather can be unpredictable, so bring layered clothing.
• Good vibes and positive attitude
Looking forward to a fun day meeting new peeps and catching up with some of the regulars!